Mike Fitzsimon Systems Architect
Mike is an innovative Systems Architect with many years experience developing creative software solutions to complex problems. These range from office automation systems for small business to large-scale, high-availability, enterprise-wide systems for large corporations and government.
He is a calm, confident communicator whether training a new user, mentoring a junior developer, brainstorming a team design or presenting to a boardroom or auditorium.
Mike is well regarded by both fellow development team members and clients.
Systems Architecture, Business Analysis
- Intimate knowledge of design and development issues for cost-effective, n-tier systems requiring scalability, high availability and performance under heavy load.
- Experience with integrating disparate systems across an enterprise.
- Consistent ability to analyse a business situation, abstract important concepts and design flexible, efficient tables, indexes and procedures to support current and future requirements.
- Successful implementations of efficient systems in a variety of commercial and technical environments using mainly Microsoft technologies (COM, DCOM, MTS, MSMQ, ADO, Visual Basic, SQL Server, MS Access and Office applications).
Software Development, Team Leadership, Project Management
- Proven ability to lead technical teams to successful implementations of complex development projects.
- Experience with the full Software Development Life Cycle from Concept Proposal to Post-Implementation review.
- Experience with source code control, CASE and design tools such as Rational Rose.
- Equally at home in a large team or as a solo developer.
2000-Present Fitzsimon IT Consulting, Systems Architect
- Business Analysis, project management, n-tier systems development, database construction, consulting and training for various clients including Logan City Council, Runge Mining, Queensland Treasury, Napier & Blakeley, Colmar Brunton et al.
- Programming in VB, T-SQL, ASP, HTML and VBA.
- Managing a team of system developers and the business.
- Implemented a number of large-scale SharePoint Portal Server systems.
- Implemented a high throughput website on a “farm” of web servers with separate database computers at a remote hosting facility.
- Implemented a number of databases and systems to support line-of-business processes for various clients.
1995-2000 SecurityMail, R&D Manager and Senior Architect
SecurityMail is one of Australia’s top 3 providers of mailing and related services, employing 750 staff in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. Clients include government departments, major banks, insurance and telecommunications companies.
- Lead and manage the R&D and Systems Development teams (up to 8 software engineers) developing applications for external clients.
- Develop and present technical designs and proposed solutions to clients in support of pre-sales efforts.
- Manage multiple large and small projects through the full software development lifecycle from feasibility study to post-implementation review.
- Provide the technical lead for major projects.
- Mentor and train software development and database administration staff.
- Undertake research and/or development projects involving commercially sensitive or time-critical data.
- Implemented an integrated management system on a secure, high-availability intranet across three states, giving the organisation consistent quoting, job tracking, costing and reporting.
- “Future-proofed” the system with an innovative code generator to regenerate Visual Basic code modules and more than 6000 T-SQL stored procedures whenever the underlying database structure had to be changed in response to business demands.
- Used the generator to develop the system using one-tenth of the development and testing manpower which would have been required by traditional methods.
- Set development standards which played a key role in the organisation’s ISO-9001 certification.
- Implemented internal management reporting systems.
1987-1995 Delta Technology, Software Services Manager
A Brisbane-based supplier of computer-graphics related hardware, software and services including system development, a graphic art studio and an imaging bureau.
- Responsible for managing and leading a team of 8 programmers.
- Developed specialist experience in computer graphics and user interface design, touch-screens, animation, CAD and multi-platform (Unix, Mac & Windows) development.
- 3D Studio – various clients including QTQ-9 and Reel Image, installation, support and macro programming for construction of animation sequences and output to video.
1976-1987 MIM, Comalco, Australian Bureau of Statistics, Queensland Electricity Commission, Programmer, Senior Systems Analyst
Early experience in the mining and electricity industries.
- Statistical data processing.
- CAD, engineering design, computer graphics and simulation in technical and engineering environments.
1985 Software Generation, Director
Developed (with three partners) one of the world’s first PC-based CAD systems.Go to top of page
Queensland Microsoft Developer Network User Group
Queensland SQL Server User Group
Mike is a regular contributor to QMSDNUG and QSSUG. His most recent presentations have been:
- Pocket PC development
- Experiences with SQL Server on a Cluster
- The .NET Windows Forms DataGrid
- Printing Support in the .NET Framework
- Visual Basic Design Patterns
- A Code Generator for highly-scalable N-Tier systems development
Copies of the presentations and sample code are available at www.fitzsimon.com.au/qmsdnug
Recent Professional and Technical referees are available on request.Go to top of page